Grandpa Joe with Pups

Grandpa Joe with Pups
Joe with his son's and daughter-in-law's puppies, Olivia and Winston

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Nephew Jeffrey "Ace" Myers, Ph.D.


When I describe Uncle Joe to those who have never met him, I tell them, "Uncle Joe is the only person I know who can listen to heavy metal and opera in the same sitting".



I have never met another person with such a breadth of knowledge and genuine interest in so many subjects as Uncle Joe. It is one thing to walk into a crowded room and strike up a meaningful conversation with a random individual, and quite another to have the social skills to actually do it, but Uncle Joe can do both with sincerity. As kids, my brothers and I always looked forward to the times when Uncle Joe came to visit. He listened to us and took interest in our pastimes of coin collecting, ham radio, astronomy, radio controlled airplanes, music, and whatever else. Kids know the difference between sincerity and B.S., but if there was any doubt; Uncle Joe let me take three of his kids flying when I was a teenaged private pilot. Doesn't get any more genuine than that.

I could go on, and believe me I want to, but all I can really express is the selfishness of what Uncle Joe means to me and my family. If we are half as important to Uncle Joe as he is to us, he is truly blessed.

Happy Birthday Uncle Joe!


Love,

Ace, Nancy, Abby, and Soren (and Guss "the cat")

Joe always has his camera... 

2 comments:

  1. How nice! Heavy metal, opera, and the football game going at the same time!! Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love this, Jeff. And that photo of Joe and Tiger Abby is one of my all-time favorites. xo

    ReplyDelete